Thursday, October 3, 2013

Objectified


This was a really exciting film to watch, I had heard about it a lot before and seen clips from it previously. I think the main part that intrigued me, and its probably the same for most of the students, was just being able to see designers at work and get to hear from them because you so rarely get to hear from designers like that. With fashion all you hear about is the designers, but no so much with industrial and graphic design, there are less fan clubs, press coverage and prestige. So this was a fun documentary to watch.
I really do think I learned a lot, if not more than anything else just from being exposed to all of these designers I hadn’t heard of yet. I typed furiously to get all of the names down, and now have a great resource to go back to and look up their work. I also got to hear all of these designers’ personal philosophies, which was great and inspiring. I think it is always inspiring to see other people get where you want to go.
            This movie focused on industrial design but the ideas taken from it can be applied to all fields of design, and all fields of work because some of what people said was just advice in general. From Dieter Rams I will always think “Users react positively when things are clear and understandable”. From Jonathan Ive I will remember to, “get design out of the way”, make it so clear and simple that people don’t even need to think about it and the design couldn’t be any other way. From the Bouroullec brothers I know that as a designer I need to help people organize, from Marc Newson to look into the future, from Paola Antoneli that I should make good design available for everyone. From Bill Moggridge to remember the interactive design and digital software is as much as important as the physical design. And finally from Tim Brown, we need to be sustainable, we know people won’t keep things forever so we need to make a way to keep it safe for disposal or reusable in the environment.
            There are a million other tidbits from this movie, a million things that you could make into mantras from these designers. I think it was just an inspiring film. I honestly can’t wait to watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment